Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cebu Philippines - Bearing Fruit

That much seems to be happening I am compelled to write. The 6am wakeup call sounded on the megaphone – the normal mode of reveille here at House of Hope. Yet it doesn’t bring feelings of discord, you look forward to getting up here. God is honored and sought everyday in community and thus His presence is seen, heard and felt (Acts 2:42-47). Today was no exception. After showering, the Pastor offered me a dress shirt to preach in (which he proceeded to iron for me). One of the brothers, Neil a co-Director of Harvest of Hope, also invited me to talk to his Sunday school children. By 1030 am I had preached twice!

Bear with me as I try to explain the Sunday school. About twenty incredibly cute girls and boys aged from four to eight. Neil had literally scooped them up from the surrounding poor villages and now taught them about God each week under a tree (within the compound of a Christian Rehabilitation Centre). As we sat there you could hear the men of God singing hymns from within the worship hall. It’s another planet here – and by God’s power, it’s a good one. Proudly the children each took a turn singing a particular hymn or song. I was to judge (I had to hold back bursting into tears, these kids stood, incredibly brave, and happily sang for me, one was three and sang alone!). I honestly sometimes want to just cry my lungs out to God. Why a wretch like me should be called by the most High? Then I am to judge the talent contest of kids that have very virtually nothing but happily sing to God for you. Choking back tears I enthusiastically clapped each group.

I then gave them a message from the Bible, being as animated as I wanted to be. They got to see John the Baptist preaching in the Desert! Humble kids are great, they don’t judge or give you mean looks, rather, their eyes are dish plates as you exhort God’s Word for all its worth. The Holy Spirit does the rest! Afterwards we decided who won the singing, and I also witnessed a little boy (6 or 7) recite all of the Beatitudes and the whole of Psalm 23 - perfectly. I remember thinking; most western Christian adults I know can’t even do that. Feeling guilty? More enthusiastic clapping. I prayed for them all then ran over to preach to the adult congregation, sweat pouring out of me as the excitement built. Anyone that knows me knows I Love preaching, so I can’t keep the smile off my face.
God gave me a powerful message – Christ’s temptation in Matthew Chapter 4 and the importance of reading God’s Word. The Pastor is a serious man with a deadly serious job. Addiction kills and when looking after 50 grown men it isn’t a task for those who are not 100% committed. When he thanks you, he means it. He sincerely thanked me for the message. We then headed into town for eggs. Why eggs you ask? Well you see, the men only get one egg two times a week for breakfast. The remainder of the time its coffee and bread and butter for breakfast. Yes you read correctly. So it is now a tradition that when Jack is here part of the blessing I ask the Lord for is to allow me to provide a simple egg every day. It’s appreciated by all. God doesn’t spoil people here. This in turn makes them good!

I bought chocolate for the kids – the promised reward. I decided everyone won, so everyone received a prize. On returning the children told me you look like Mel Gibson. I hoped they didn’t mean the graying drunk He seems to be currently? They had made me something. One little girl had written out in colorful letters a thank you and blessing. It’s going on my wall when I get back home. They asked me to pray again in parting and asked Neil if I was here next week also? Children asking you to pray? As I said, another planet.
Afterwards Neil (a spiritually discerning man) pointed to the tree above us. I had been telling the children this is a church and church is not a building but people. They understood the concept of a spiritual family. Neil said “Jack’s Fruit”. I smiled humbled. But he pointed above a second time. Whilst preaching I was standing under a JackFruit Tree! It was bearing huge JackFruit nearly ripe. Can you imagine such a sign from God? Here is this fairly rare exotic fruit and you are preaching right under it all about God, hoping what you are doing will bear fruit and at the last moment God says “your preaching under my tree that has your name on it and its producing fruit”. That morning, Peter, good friend from Ireland, sent me Scripture to encourage me that God’s Word won’t return empty while I am here, it will bear fruit!

I need to rest I am overwhelmed. Tomorrow morning I am to share my whole testimony including the PowerPoint presentation, and then preach the beginning of Romans that night. ‘Jack fruit’ – I get it. To God be ALL the glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment