Friday, March 18, 2011

Learning - always learning

In the Gospels people often call Christ - Teacher. That's because that is part of His Role - teaching us how to be human. All week I had studied addictions, idolatry and counselling methods from a Christian perspective. I had read through and watched countless testimonies of ex addicts (chronically addicted, often in horrific circumstances) being released into freedom by Christ.

As I visited a particular addicted man in that very situation (Morphine, Marijuana, Nicotine) I realised that as I was studying how to care for the addicted; the Teacher (Christ), was giving me practical experience simultaneously. At first I hadn't even realised it, until today when I left him (spending about two hours together) it dawned on me that Christ was teaching me - powerfully. The theory I had been reading matched exactly to what was occurring, one particular book telling me to build relationship first then lovingly move to the next step of getting the addict to accept responsibility for his actions. Rather than blaming the world. Earlier on in the week that is exactly what he had been doing, blaming everyone for his situation other than himself.

Today we sat and after going for a meal (the Lord leading me to get him some food - addicts don't eat much) we sat and watched three amazing testimonies of ex bikers, hells angels and gang members coming to freedom in Christ. Men that this tattooed man could relate to, men that sinned more than he had. Yet they had found forgiveness. The Teacher guiding every step of the way. All week I had struggled in facing my own imperfections and the tendrils of addiction that still haunt those that have come through hell (or what felt like hell).

When you read about addictions (as an ex addict) it certainly makes you face yourself. Wanting another person freed can feel like an overwhelming burden, yet yourself can do nothing other than give testimony, point to Christ and pray. And then Let Christ do the work. Your own burden should actually be lite (Mt 11:28). 

Today a meeting was booked with a Christian Rehab centre and a detox centre (both to occur next week). Each has an eight week waiting list. You share the frustration of the addicted now willing to go, and then having to wait. (Hence you plan to open another rehab centre to share the burden). You are there to be a friend (a sober one), to pray, and to stand as an example of hope. If Christ could free me, he can free you.

Learning - always learning.

Christ be with you

1 comment:

  1. Learning, as always, comes in practice. Thanks for posting this. And leading by example. These are learnings which are indispensable in true faith. God bless you more! Praying for you..

    ReplyDelete