Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bikers, Police and Angels?

Last Friday I prepared to be the Supervisor Street Chaplain in Fremantle. Which means you do not actually go out.Rather you greet the Chaplains and pray with them. Then you go home. All day I had read the Bible, probably about twenty or so chapters. A lot of prayer also. It was a day of spiritual disciplines. When the Lord calls me to do this I sometimes get apprehensive at what is going to happen. In this case I had no apprehension as I was not going out - only supervising...so I thought...

At the last moment I decided to wear my Street Chaplain polo shirt to greet the chaplains. Wanting to make a good impression to the Police prior to starting. When I arrived at the Station one of the Chaplains was a no show. I was going out whether I liked it or not. God had known this all along, I hadn't.

We prayed before leaving the station and were cursed by someone across the street. "YOU GUYS ARE F%$#$^ GAY!!" He shouted it, whoever he was, more than once. We sensed it as more than just physical, but also a spirtual rebuke. I quickly quoted blessed are you when you are persecuted or insulted. After the prayer ended the abuser was gone, however, I felt something was going to happen tonight. Potentially something not good.

We headed into the night. My fellow Chaplain was a new recruit, this his second time out.  I tried to prewarn him to get a control of fear and trust God. I even told him Satan was going to test his faith tonight. When I said this i had no I idea what was coming, God did...

About an hour later standing on the cappuccino strip, at maybe 11pm, eight or more police cars turned up. They seemed to arrive almost instantaneously. As I turned and looked at this strong show of force I then saw about 20 of the Tactical Response Group (TRG). Sort of like the Police's special forces. I knew something very serious was going down. I also sensed a very powerful spiritual presence.

As I scanned the street I then saw why. Six or so very ominous looking bikers. Shaved heads with pony tails, heavily muscled and tattooed. These men were the focus of nearly 50 police. As i looked at them I sensed something very powerful in them. Something from the other side. The Darkside. The men were taunting the police, one appeared like a coiled spring of negative energy. They wanted trouble.

We moved toward the TRG. Already my partner's courage was being tested. After 3 years as a Street Chaplain The Lord has had me face many dangerous situations. So did 11 years in the Army . However the Lord knows with bikers I would feel trepidation.  They instill fear in the best of us. Tonight however the fact I spent the whole day in the bible and a whole day of prayer, i was calm and at peace. God had prepared me without me being aware. Again if I had been aware I probably would have been anxious.

It all made sense now. The day of spiritual disciplines, wearing the street chaplain polo, the other chaplain not turning up. The penny dropped. God wanted me there to pray.

We stood amongst the TRG and began to pray silently for peace. Almost immediately the bikers started to walk down an alley way. 20 heavily armed TRG  behind them with two Street Chaplains as the vanguard. None of the other crowd of revellers pursued. I suppose the whole scene was quite surreal.

I admit I like the adrenalin rush of it all. God has even rebuked me for such. He did so through a movie called The Hurt Locker, where a soldier starts to love his job and the excitement of his near death experiences. The end caption is "War is a Drug". God clearly told me you are like that jack. Don't be.

As we walked my partner lagged behind. Fear was really working on him. It was understandable. Here we were following six fearful looking bikers and 20 TRG officers down an alleyway/mall. It wasn't really the natural thing to do! It was, however, the supernatural thing to do.

At one point I turned to my partner and prayed out loud. I wanted him to hear the prayer so he could agree to it. When two come together in His name He is there. What is agreed to on earth is loosed in heaven. What I asked for to be loosed was powerful.

In a very authoritative voice, with power, I asked that an Arch Angel would come now! I don't usually pray such things. Ever. We pray to the Lord and the Lord decides what He wants to do. We are never to worship angels as they are part of the creation just like us. If we worship them its idolatry. When John met an angel and bowed the ANgel yelled at him GET UP, I am a servant just as you are DONT worship Me! We are not to call on them either (directly anyway). I thus called to God and asked for an Arch Angel in Jesus' name. Jesus at one point states to Peter that if he wanted to he could call 12 legions of angels (that's 60,000!). I jsut wanted one. But a BIG One.
We didn't see the sky light up, nor did we see a lighting bolt or Michael (the Arch Angel) standing resplendent in armour. We didn't even 'feel' anything. Not even a slight breeze much less a hurricane. No nothing theatrical like that.

Something amazing did happen though...

The bikers left. Almost instantly they walked away and  left the whole area. It was over. The Police knew it also. They turned to leave and witnessed two street chaplains nonchalantly leaning on a wall and lamp post right behind them. No one said a word. I couldn't help but think, surely one of those officers knew we were praying for them. I have no doubt God knew. More seeds planted.
Bikers, Police, Angels and Street Chaplains. Coincidence or God incidence?

I will let you decide -  I already have.

God Bless

http://www.thechristiannetwork.com

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Mate

      Glad someone is reading them.

      God Bless

      Delete
  2. ditto... still reading, still enjoying.
    blessings
    al.

    ReplyDelete