Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Trusting in Horses and Chariots

The past ten days had seemed so very quiet (hence a quiet blog). You get accustomed to seeing signs from God, especially when they are happening all the time. When they stop, it feels like a drought. I had been studying a particular theological book and the writer was giving practical advice in regard to the ups and downs of ministry blessings. He called them mountains and valleys.

In his own ministry he had experienced much of both. Initially the valleys would form in between the euphoric highs of the mountains and often would bring depression. A low period, even feelings of insecurity; thinking have I done something to upset God? However, over time this learned man had realized something I hadn't ( though I was about to). The lows are there to allow our bodies to rest. To recharge, to be satisfied in the simplest of things not just in the 'highs'. Contentment in all situations (see Apostle Paul). There I was feeling low that God was quiet and as I read this book I suddenly realised God was talking to me - direct, yet again. Straight away my heart rate increased, I was on the way back up a mountain! Adrenalin pumping and the euphoria of a God sign sitting in the palm of my hand. I don't know what I was more excited about, the fact God had made Himself very aware to me or that the advice He was giving me was so practical. You NEED DOWN TIME as much as the ups.

The novel even went on to say that these lows allow us to be ready for God when God does act. For we mere humans can't keep up with Him. It is us that ultimately need the rest - not God. This got me even more excited. That night I found it hard to sleep - too excited now about the prospect of God acting again soon! Surely I must exasperate God at times.

During the quiet time, I was looking for God anywhere; emails, donations, invites to public speaking, even the website's statistics. Everything went quiet. I then felt I am putting my faith in man  made things not in God. I should be trusting and waiting for God. Then it happened, the impossible. The statistics for the website on the 27th of March, produced an algorithm that is almost impossible to repeat. Seven visitors, created seven hits and seven page impressions. 7777. A very quiet day for traffic but a very loud way of God saying "Don't trust in horses or chariots - trust In the name of the Lord your GOD" (Psalm 20:7).

That week I received a $2000 donation for the ministry and was invited to speak to a gathering of 640 people to share my testimony.

No comments:

Post a Comment