Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

I went to the local Church tonight for a dinner outreach. Each Thursday a meal is put on for anyone who wants to come along. It is a blessing to serve others and enjoy the fellowship there. Full time theological study can be intense. Having a break to  put  into practice what you have learnt is greatly appreciated. Tonight was no exception. I often get the opportunity to share a Biblical message (between dinner and desert) however, tonight was a friend's turn.

He had emailed me during the week and asked me to source him some pictures for his proposed talk. One showing the detail of the internal organs of a human body and the other showing the separation of man to God and Christ as the bridge. I remember feeling annoyed at being asked to do such (I was busy with my own work for God) however, managed to suppress my selfish nature long enough to source the pictures for my friend. After I sent them I received two thank you emails and subsequently felt rotten for begrudgingly doing it given the warm thanks I received. We really ALL fall short of God's glory. Being truthful helps us see our need for God more and more - in every way.

On arriving at the Church I was quite excited.  I walked up to my friend and asked if he had included Scripture in his message? He is an avid creationist and as wonderful as that is often ramps up the creation rather than the Creator's Word. I felt the need to give a subtle and soft reminder of having God's Word included in his message. We only speak for about 5 mins as many that come are non believers and we feel best to not go over the top with preaching. We do, however, ensure that a short Biblical message or testimony is given each week. It's a nice balance.

Thankfully my friend was in no way offended and responded how about John 3:16? I said sure (I did feel though that it didn't really match with his message ). I walked off and asked God for some Scripture to give him. Immediately the verse "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made" popped into my head. I thought - Perfect! That will go perfectly with his pictures about the human body. I just had to find the verse in the Bible. The verse reference hadn't popped into my head. I flicked through the Bible Psalms trying to find it. I then went into the prayer room. We usually pray before everyone arrives. Another brother came in and I asked him if he knew where the verse was. Then the miraculous occurred..

He said Peter had just asked him where that verse was. Peter is my friend that was speaking. However, I hadn't told him the verse yet. I knew instantly the Holy Spirit was telling both of us simultaneously to use the same verse. The Bible is a fairly large book. So focusing on one little verse that just happens to pop into the head of two people at the same time? - GOD.

We found the verse and I excitedly told Peter. When I sense God's active presence I always get excited. The message was wonderful and not only did Peter state that verse but many other verses just popped into his head. At one stage he became a Scriptural machine, stringing verse after verse together. We both knew the Holy Spirit was at work. Peter hadn't prepared any of the verses he quoted. What began as having very little Scripture ended with extensive Scriptural quotes woven together perfectly by the Grand Weaver. The same Grand Weaver that wove us together in the womb.

 The same Grand Weaver to whom David said "I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well" Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment