Friday, April 22, 2011

I Love you

More often than not we look for God in large miraculous events, rather than seeing Him in the smaller details of life. We live in a galaxy that is part of a universe  so vast our instruments of measurement continually need adjustment to cope with its scale. NASA releases new images periodically that show us how immense the universe actually is. And subsequently how small we are. Consider one atom, its intricacies and its scale. Consider the detail of one strand of human DNA containing over 500,000 characters of information. Enough information to fill 10,000 books with 500 words. Amazingly people point to the ink and paper and yet disregard the option that an author was involved. Intelligent design is seen in our microscopic DNA as well as in the breathtaking beauty of galaxies.

God as a Masterful Designer pays attention to detail.

The other day I had decided to fast. I do not fast maybe as much as I should, there certainly is no rules to fasting, its a personal thing between you and God and when you feel called to it. Through the Bible this is always in times of need. I had a need and thus I went without food for the day. A friend had invited me over for dinner that night. And so I had resolved to break the fast at dinner. By six pm (after not eating since the night before) I was hungry. Mild discomfort, yet I also noticed my senses heightened spiritually and a serene feeling of joy. Nothing to complain about that's for sure.

When I arrived at my friends I didn't tell them I was fasting of course. We are told in the Bible not to make a big deal of it. Again its personal between you and God. As I sat down for dinner, a delicious plate of lamb chops were given to me. Lamb chops rate as one of my favourite meals. But I won't buy them, at $30 a kilo they are outside of my budget and thus I pass them by and think I don't need that. In fact, just that week I had walked past them at the supermarket and thought "too expensive". I often look out to see if they are on special, though that seems to be a rarity. Lamb chops are everyone's favourite and so the price matches the demand.

So when you have fasted all day and night, and sit down to a surprise plate of lamb chops, you know it is God. You are shocked, even dismayed. How could a being that creates Galaxies, designs DNA and overlooks 6 Billion lives, care so much that He orchestrates your favourite food at the end of a fast, simply to say.......I Love you.

"But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen, and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you" (Matthew 6:17-18)

1 comment:

  1. There is a strong coloration force between the flesh and eating, here we see that the devil temped Christ to turn the stones into bread, the amazing thing is to read what Christ says in verse 4.

    KJV Matthew 4:1-4
    1. Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

    2. And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

    3. And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

    4. But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God

    ReplyDelete